Harry Kane Decides to Remain at Tottenham this Summer

After accepting defeat in his attempt to force a move to Manchester City, Harry Kane has announced that he would stay at Tottenham this summer and that he is “100% focused on helping the team achieve success.”

Kane has been urging City to sign him for months, and he had hoped to complete the deal before Euro 2020. However, neither the player nor the club have made any progress, owing to Spurs chairman Daniel Levy’s customary rigidity. He turned down a £100 million approach from City as well as a £127 million offer from City, constantly telling the champions that Kane, who signed a six-year contract with Spurs in June 2018, was not for sale.

Kane had hoped that City would respond with a bid that would persuade Levy to change his mind before Tuesday’s deadline – something in the region of £150 million – but the 28-year-old now accepts that this is unlikely to happen and that he will be stuck at Spurs until the transfer window reopens at the turn of the year.

It was incredible to see the reception from the Spurs fans on Sunday [against Wolves] and to read some of the messages of support I’ve had in the last few weeks,” Kane said in a tweet posted on his official account on Wednesday afternoon. “ I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success.”

Along with Levy, Tottenham’s managing director, Fabio Paratici, and manager, Nuno Esprito Santo, both relatively new arrivals at the club, have played significant roles in persuading Kane to stay, each speaking with the striker, Spurs’ third all-time record goalscorer with 166 goals in 243 appearances, about their plans for the club and how he fits into them. While that was not enough to persuade Kane to stay, he appreciated their efforts, leading him to decide ahead to Sunday’s visit to Wolves that it was time to call it a day on his transfer battle, resulting in his inclusion in the matchday squad at Molineux.

Kane had missed Spurs’ first two games of the season, a 1-0 home triumph against City on the opening day and a 1-0 defeat away to Paços de Ferreira in the first leg of their Europa League qualifying tie last week, after returning to training late after an extended holiday and quarantine. He also reportedly refused to report for pre-season training at the start of the month in protest of what he saw as Levy’s breach of a gentleman’s agreement permitting him to leave Spurs this summer.

Great news. Fantastic news,” said Nuno in response to Kane’s announcement that he was staying at Spurs. “I think since Harry joined us he has been working so this is what we value. His attitude in training has been excellent.

“It’s finished, Harry is going to be with us. He is an option for tomorrow. It is great news for everybody. We are all very happy one of the best players in the world. Delighted to have one more option for the season ahead of us.

Kane’s reference of “this summer” in his tweet undoubtedly raises concerns about the England captain leaving in January, but Nuno said he was unconcerned ahead of the second leg against Paços de Ferreira on Thursday. He stated, “I am not concerned at all.” “We’ll take it day by day; he’s a possibility for tomorrow. It’s the only thing that comes to mind. I’m not going to reveal what we’re talking about. It’s just the two of us.”

City must now concentrate their efforts on finding a new center-forward. After Cristiano Ronaldo informed Juventus of his desire to leave the Italian club, they have been connected with him. The 36-year-agent, old’s Jorge Mendes, has since offered him to City, but they are unwilling to pay a transfer fee for him, despite the fact that they are willing to cover his £26 million yearly salary.

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *